Opioids Overview & Guidelines for Dentists | Pain Management Review
***NOTICE*** All states except for California which must be approved by the Dental Board of Calif. We are now approved for 2023-2024 to offer the California Opioid course for dentists.
3 CEs/ Contact Credit Hours
Published: May 2019 Updated: December 2022 Expires: August 2023
Pages: 32 & online videos within the course
Course Instructors/Health Science Editors: MaryLou Austin, RDH, MS, Howard A. Boone, MD
Public Domain Information Sources: CDC, NIH, HHS, Washington Medical Agencies, ADA Opioid Policies, Bree Collaborative, et al.
Questions? Contact Us: Phone: 530 238-5333 or Email: CEsupport@MyDentalCE.com
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Know the principles of pain management for acute pain in dental patients.
- Understand basic pharmacokinetics of opioids.
- Understand the mechanisms of opioid agonists and antagonists.
- Understand the physiologic mechanisms of pain.
- Identify opioid dependence and screening techniques for narcotic abuse.
- Apply best practices guidelines for opioid prescribing & the use of alternate medications.
- Access current information & resources regarding the opioid crisis in the U.S.
- Be able to integrate safe prescribing methods for opioids in your practice.
This resource packed course provides dentists with a clear understanding of the mechanics of pain management and strategies for treating pain with opioids as well as non-opioid alternatives. This course material also provides a review of the basic pharmacology and physiology associated with pain management medications. And current information on the Opioid crisis in the USA is thoroughly discussed and ample external resources and information are included.